Alateen is for youth from the ages of 12 to 19 whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking. If someone close to you, such as your parent(s), grandparent(s), brother(s), sister(s), or anyone else close to you has or has had a drinking problem, the following questions may help you determine if Alateen is for you.
- Do you constantly seek approval and affirmation?
- Do you fail to recognize your accomplishments?
- Do you fear criticism?
- Do you overextend yourself?
- Have you had problems with your own compulsive behavior?
- Do you have a need for perfection?
- Are you uneasy when your life is going smoothly, continually anticipating problems?
- Do you feel more alive in the midst of a crisis?
- Do you still feel responsible for others, as you did for the problem drinker in your life?
- Do you care for others easily, yet find it difficult to care for yourself?
- Do you isolate yourself from other people?
- Do you respond with fear to authority figures and angry people?
- Do you feel that individuals and society in general are taking advantage of you?
- Do you have trouble with intimate relationships?
- Do you confuse pity with love, as you did with the problem drinker?
- Do you attract and/or seek people who tend to be compulsive and/or abusive?
- Do you cling to relationships because you are afraid of being alone?
- Do you often mistrust your own feelings and the feelings expressed by others?
- Do you find it difficult to identify and express your emotions?
- Do you think someone’s drinking may have affected you?
Alcoholism is a family disease. Those of us who have lived with this disease as children sometimes have problems which the Al-Anon program can help us to resolve. If you have answered yes to any of the above questions, Al-Anon may help. Watch the video My Dad drinks too much.
Catalog number: S-25
Did You Grow Up With a Problem Drinker?, copyright 1984 by Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. Reprinted with permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.
Should you wish more information about Alateen please contact the Ottawa Alateen Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org